Thursday, September 29, 2011

The house hunt continues....

I haven't blogged in AGES and I'm still on the house hunt - in fact I have basically turned into a serial house hunter but not in an enjoyable way. It's not a hobby any more. I actually want to buy a house but we haven't found "the one". I feel that at this stage it is most unlikely that we ever will.

I think I have almost single handedly been responsible for the stats recently released by MyHome.ie about their site usage that said something along the lines of them getting about 1 million hits per week.

In my searches it is still quite shocking how much estate agents are valuing houses at. For example this house on Pleasants St that recently came to the market. Now, location wise it's pretty good, and it has a garden...but that it about it. It appears that you would have to practically rebuild from scratch.


I realise in the general "Felicity Fox" scheme of things €400k doesn't seem that expensive but when you have to spend the same on a rebuild, you'd have to think twice (or not at all) about your spend.

Another house that I saw online recently in a similarly "fine" state to Felicity's house on Pleasants Street is (Fleicity like's to say fine a lot opportunity to acquire a very fine period property", "another fine bedroom", "very fine two storey " etc)Walford on Shrewsbury Road. Now, they are asking €15 million which is just slightly over budget for me but I wouldn't view it anyway because for that bargain basement price, again you'll pretty much need to rebuild it too.


Now to be fair to them (I don't know why I feel the need to be?!) but the house did sell for €58 million in 2005 so it's come down in price somewhat and also, you could have international sporting events in the back garden but still...

Much like the house I saw back in October 2010 in Sandymount (see below) it's still shocking how unrealistic estate agents and vendors are being. Get real people. So unless you're a builder-lotto winner, keep searching....

If you have seen any propoerties online that are similarly outrageous please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment